072712 The Urban Tracker (In Baguio): Maze Runner From Inner Mabini To Session Road

Figuring out if it’s a hotel or an office.
f going about or navigating Baguio was something more surprising given its complex arrangement then I wouldn't mind spending a day. 

To my mind, It became a maze of a city and the unfolding of things despite the rains showed me why.

That morning I woke up in the comfort of a soft bed and without an idea what name of the hotel I checked in. The raging rains of the previous night stalled me in the bus terminal while waiting for my expected guests.  When they found me, we immediately took a cab and pulled our stuff into this hotel. I had never seen the outside area to remember exactly the place. All  I remember was the marble flooring and we had coffee talks before sleep took better of me.

The egg and langonisa pair , kick off a brisk breakfast with coffee.
It's the Frankalt Hotel the hotel staff told me as they served us breakfast, From the window, Session Road in a distance hustled in the disappearing fog. I could sense the beat of progress with left and right constructions that’s been poking my attention for days like condos, flats. Or could it be a renewed interest of investment like those Korean schools or call centers? That’s when my friends cued me to consume my coffee along with egg and langonisa meal.

Photobucket
Billiards come side by side with eateries, a familiar sharing set-up in underworld Baguio.
It's freakin' cold for days with non-stop rains. So we let the bleak subsided until the sunlight showed up by afternoon to check if we could get past outside. We embarked in Mabini busy section from the hotel and off the hop started. We directly shot our way to this eatery where we entered a building passing by a billiard hall. The eatery located in these unseen sections was our target for our afternoon repast with their quirky combo selections. Below the building, confusing signs showed up like a lotto outlet above Mabini Market shopping center. Only to verify that just it's a wet and dry market in the basement.

Photobucket
Basement wet and dry public market in Mabini. 
Most buildings here were noticeably flooded with shops of assortments which made them confusing. Their arrangement was mostly not uniformed and observably forming a sort of array. Even small spaces inside the building were occupied by either a cellphone accessory shop, a small office or ukay retail. Businesses scrambled for a spot on these innercity establishments to claim accessibility and ride with the literal principle of crowdsourcing.

The High Street that is Session Road with its painted establishments.
Same scenario along Session Road, there were groceries, general merchandise shops, internet cafes occupying the basement or in the second floors. And they were placed in random order. Session Road, on one hand, is looming to be the high street of Baguio when it comes to assembly of big players from restaurants, bookstores and banks. 

The Lady of Atonement Cathedral looks hazy in one short cut switch from Porta Vaga Mall.
For instance, once I decided to go inside the Porta Vaga Mall, I found a great chance to switch into an alley that led me to the Lady of Atonement Cathedral. The alleyways comprised the maze even in Session road that forming a shortcut to another spot finding out. With my rounds, I confirmed these establishments form a labyrinth, a kind of symbiotic syndication for the businesses.

Unfriendly rains mar my Burnham Park supposed charming promenade.
After learning that the stretch of Session Road is governed by one barangay, thus its name Barangay Session Road. Burnham Park is part of Guisad-Marcos Ave.-Burnham, that seemed unwelcoming that afternoon with the rains. After all, it’s being cordoned off for an upcoming makeover. Of course, the city overpass still reigned as Baguio's signature passage where chances of finding  Igorot natives doing their rounds of alms still at large.

Photobucket
Scene on zebra pedestrian walk the Session Road bittersweet symphony style.
Photobucket
A very accommodating hoot and bang walk in Session Road, just bear the rains!

But my last day I thought to be my relax and carefree Baguio walkaround  was spoiled by a phone call.  My boss called me to proceed immediately to Cabanatuan for my next leg of work. Sigh, so no choice but came back to hotel room and pulled out my stuff in a haste. My friends fetched me to the FX Terminal by 2 pm on my untimely transfer to Cabanatuan on the same day - a supposed relaxing, settling day to get more amazed with Baguio despite its maze set-up was packed up.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...