072612 The Urban Tracker (In La Trinidad) : Elevate My Mind In Beckel Highlands

Steamed broccoli in oyster sauce, a highlander dish trip.

he steamed broccoli over oyster sauce - a crave item that came to reality after borrowing the butane stove from a concerned neighbor. 

It was after all just a beginning of an inescapable  highlander thrill coming my way before calling it a day.


 photo DSCN7300.jpg
Curvy and treacherous Kennon road on my way to Baguio Central Mall
Day started via Kennon Road, a daily roller coaster routine passing Baguio's industrial frontier. From Inner Mabini, a tipster led me somewhere at the back of Baguio Central Mall, a busy terminal where the jeep routing to Beckel-Ambiong was stationed. Beckel I assumed was still much a part of La Trinidad as the map pointed out among the mountainous domain. The jeep route passed Gibraltar traversing the Ambuklao dam enroute  to Nueva Vizcaya  then the roads got elevated and realized it's the edge of the mountain with all the fogs colliding on your face putting off my Ambiong leg due to constraint of time and the impounding rains.

 photo DSCN7401.jpg
Highland communities span over the mountainous Beckel district.
From the high mountain road, the jeep suddenly sloped up turning left and it swung by the edge. The driver told me to walk down the road where the barangay hall of Beckel was situated. Blowing  a smoky air, I could see the neighborhood just below along the terrain passing by pausing along the way. A school structure stood tall among the houses. It's interesting to realize it's all happening in this highland despite elevation until something caught my sight at the valley below  

 photo DSCN7400.jpg
Presence of backyard graveyard suggests Igorots still hang on their old beliefs.
It's a twin structure parallel to each other. Cemented and painted. Then it sank to me - it was a grave. Building a backyard grave where a dead family is buried, a practice inherent to Igorots. Igorots are the originals of the mountain region of Benguet. They could have been around even before we were colonized 500 years ago. It made sense that Beckel denizens still kept this burial tradition. As long as the mountains prevailed, this authentic Igorot hardcore practice would remain. With my final screech at the edge of the cliff revealed the church front of St. Padre Pio Parish.

 photo DSCN7403-1.jpg
The Padre Pio Church, one of community's visible landmark
Gazing further with this visible landmark was interrupted by the rains. With just the limits of time, unfriendly and muddy road forced me to back off and retraced my path back to terminal. Along the highway, with couple of stalls that stood by, I waited for my ride back to Baguio proper. A high pressure on the atmosphere was sickening. And finally, I clinched a jeepney ride back to Baguio proper after 30 minutes..

 photo DSCN7402-1.jpg
A sitting lady statue, an intriguing landmark sight in Beckel.
On my mind was the statue that I caught a shot earlier mounted atop of rooftop was something intriguing. It's an image of a lady - sitting and gazing the horizons. A sitting image full of hope? Hope I guess for the people on this side still in mode of embracing their old ways despite a ride to the tide of globalization.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...