071710 - The Urban Tracker (In Manila) - Lost In Pasilios of 168 Divisoria

Divisoria Mall a proud witness to a year-round bargain spree
hen thinking of purchasing an item cheaper by the dozen, there's only one place that crops up on mind. That’s no doubt, Divisoria. Like anyone who returned to this territory, one becomes familiar with which area to find certain household items. Like one fine day, I was looking for a curtain accessory - a curtain edge cap in particular - and I knew it's somewhere in the arteries of Divisoria. Alighting from PUJ, serendipity took me to the streets of Soler.

Street side tool peddlers are budding out in Soler
A honey bee curtain cap

Soler St. is a stretch that starts from Sta. Cruz, a  less stressful route going to Divisoria than snaking around Binondo from Sta Cruz. This is the haven for someone in hunt for electrical gadgets like lamp post, chandelier lights.


But instead, I hit upon this street vendor selling a honeybee edge cap for 8 pesos and so I bought 20 pieces that calculates to 160 pesos compared with other stalls that sell at 15. The stall is an impermanent, that one may call a bangketa hardware, that's starting to sprout elsewhere. The quality is impressive from the looks of it. Tools, name it, they carry it. It's cheaper, accessible than buying them from big players like Ace Hardware, or Handy Man.

Pasilio signs can be more confusing than shopping itself.     
Once done, it's time to enter 168 mall to scour for some gift items. Adjacent constructions were gearing up for the expansion of this mall. Once inside, chances that you  ignore the signs of the pasilios which could only give details like stall numbers but won't help ordinary shoppers find the way on the rush and can be quite misleading. I must admit for how many times I have been here I still get confused if not lost.

The food court level is on the 3rd level, where you can heave a sigh after encountering those back to back clustering stalls. There's a good friend waiting for me for some catch-up talk all the while I am thinking of winding again back to those pasilios. I accosted a friend for a repair of his  China I-phone, so he tagged me along to this stall with an obvious Taiwanese cellphone technician. The guy learned to speak a few Tagalog lines with his cracking accent and they dominate the mostly the faces of some stalls which are embedded in those pasilios.

Motorist arm protector come in array of fascinating colors.
Outside 168, a promising chance to  look around for pair of motorist arm protector cloth on main thoroughfare. I found it near the curtain sections on my way to New Divisoria Mall which is like 168 teeming and exploding of goodies. Good thing I have developed a kind of  patience - with my scanning skills and haggling too in pinning those interesting items. As for anyone who came my way, I knew it would be one of these days.

For the nth time, Divisoria seems to be throwing me somewhere, blame it on shopping nature, I realized there's more to Divisoria to explore but I have to settle indexing  the ins and outs of Divisoria to have the aerial view of this shopping mecca. Divisoria I recently learned from some TV docu is a Spanish term meaning to divide. The railroad track divides Divisoria from 2 zones, one belongs to Tondo and the other to Binondo.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...